As we approach the 21 st of December and the official start of Winter, our thoughts go out to those whose hardships are made even greater by the onset of the bitter weather – the homeless. With no permanent home, they are forced to brave plummeting temperatures and perilous conditions which can prove to be lethal.
According to the leading homeless charity Shelter, the number of homeless people in the UK has reached a staggering 307,000, which is more than the population of Newcastle.
At Whalley Warm & Dry we want to help make a difference to the lives of the homeless this Christmas and help them to stay warm and dry. From tomorrow until Wednesday 20th December we will be collecting donations of clean, warm clothing (fleeces, jumpers, base layers) winter hats, gloves, scarves, warm socks and unwanted footwear (in women’s sizes 4, 5 and 6 and men’s sizes 7, 8, 9) for the local homeless charity Nightsafe. Please see below for specific details and donation suggestions.
In addition to your kind donations, we too will be donating warm clothes, socks and footwear to Nightsafe.
• Helped 10,000 young people
• Given 30,000 nights off the street
• Provided 100,000 meals
• Had 400 dedicated volunteers
Nightsafe has four projects offering a variety of housing options and services to young people.
- The Shelter provides young people aged 16 to 24 a safe place to stay with resettlement support to help them find more permanent accommodation.
- Witton Project is a supported housing project for 16 to 18-year olds promoting life skills and supporting young people to move on into independent living.
- Platform 5 is a day centre for 16 to 24 years olds that provides facilities such as laundry, storage, showers and meals. It also has an educational and health promotion brief.
- Cornfield Cliffe is a supported housing project in Darwen providing six en-suite rooms with 24-hour support.
Nightsafe relies on the kind support of the local community to enable them to carry out their essential work.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE THIS CHRISTMAS
You can help the lives of young homeless this Christmas by donating one or more of the following items;
- Warm layers – items such as fleeces, jumpers, base layers
- Winter accessories – hats, gloves, scarves
- Warm socks
- Footwear – in women’s sizes 4, 5 and 6 and men’s sizes 7, 8, 9
Please could all donations be cleaned prior to dropping off with us at Whalley Warm and Dry.
You can drop off your donations anytime during normal opening times from tomorrow until 4:30 pm on Thursday 21st December.
If you have any questions or would like further information please do not hesitate to get in touch with us, give us a call on 01254 822 220 or email email@example.com
TOGETHER WE CAN HELP YOUNG HOMELESS PEOPLE TO BE WARM AND DRY THIS WINTER